Re: On subsetting XML...

Norman,

I think the SOAP spec[1] is little stronger on receivers
receiving processing instruction. We really want receivers to
fault on PIs; but we don't want receivers to be required to
examine the entire message for the presence of PIs, and fault if
any, which is what a MUST would require. Hence the opt out clause.

Not that a well-behaved SOAP sender would not include a PI anyway.

Jean-Jacques.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/06/LC/soap12-part1.html#soapenv

Excerpt from SOAP 1.2, Part 1, editor draft:
"SOAP messages sent by initial SOAP senders MUST NOT contain
processing instruction information items. SOAP intermediaries
MUST NOT insert processing instruction information items in SOAP
messages they relay. SOAP receivers receiving a SOAP message
containing a processing instruction information item SHOULD
generate a SOAP fault with the Value of Code set to "env:Sender".
However, in the case where performance considerations make it
impractical for an intermediary to detect processing instruction
information items in a message to be relayed, the intermediary
MAY leave such processing instruction information items unchanged
in the relayed message."