Re: Why URIs in RDF?

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:30:33 +0100
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Sandro,

I am not sure if it is appropriate to post to this list, apologies if it
isn't. I have only a short question to help me understand these important
issues.

Sandro Hawke wrote:

> My points:
>
>   1.  Producers and consumers of RDF information need to know what
>       many of the URIs in a document denote, if useful communication
>       is to occur.  They can learn that nicely by doing a web lookup
>       on the URIs.

But isn't the whole point that one cannot rely on getting a particular document
(representation) when "doing a web lookup on the URI"?

So, what if the representation I GET back for a URI at time T1 denotes another
meaning than the representation I GET back for the same URI at time T2? Doesn't that
mean I can't rely on the meaning of the URI to be constistent over time?

Does the RDF-approach of using URIs for KR consider this? Can you explain how,
or send me a pointer to a description?

Thanks.

Jan

--