Re: yet another sidetrack on what a URI identifies

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:45:30 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
cc: www-tag@w3.org

Sigh.  You're right -- another side track.  It's so obvious to me that
everything works in my mental model (things like HTTP caching, content
negotiation, database federation, trust logic, fragment addressing,
identifying things like cars, dogs, and the moon, etc) that I keep
thinking it'll be clear to you, too, if I just explain it better.

But you have your own mental model, which apparently works just fine
for you.  (You can't sell a product to someone unless that person
realizes there is some problem with what they already have.)  So I
guess you have no reason to try to understand things my way.

Unfortunately, your model doesn't work for me, in trying to to
effectively use URIs in knowledge representation languages (like RDF).
But maybe that's just my lack of understanding or imagination.  Of
course, since my own model works fine for me, it's hard to get
motivated to *really* try to use yours.

All this is only a problem if we need to reconcile our world views.

    -- sandro