RE: Options for dealing with IDs

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:28:50 -0600
To: "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Someone please explain why this isn't a realistic
option given an on-demand scenario.  If the DTD/Schema
were ALWAYS processed, I agree that is a bad thing.
The one thing that jumps out at me is that requiring
a DTD or Schema just to get at ID declarations is
a heavy requirement given that the number of
applications that use IDs is large, so this
can in fact, become a virtual requirement to
always get the DTD/Schema.

Is that it?

len

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Isn't this a variation of #1?  I.e. it requires that interoperable
processing requires fetching and looking in a DTD.  So probably not
realistic.