Re: content negotiation anti-principle

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:24:22 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 06:04 pm, Jeremy Dunck wrote:
> What was the original rationale for negotation?  To me, it is a way to make
> resource dependencies less brittle, and to allow variance in UA support.

That's right, but for many common cases, this is really less of an issue. In
1994-1995, the rationale was much more clearly valid.

> The missing piece, to me, is making it obvious to the linker what, exactly,
> a particular resource represents, so that they can intelligently choose
> which (less generic) URI they might find most useful.

Right. There is no way to distinguish "generic" from "specific" resources, and
even with http://foo.com/foo.jpg, where the specitivity is "apparent" you
don't *really* know what you're going to get.

That last part also leads to fragility.