Re: Options for dealing with IDs

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:52:03 -0800
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Steal undeclared attributes of name id (and ID). If an attribute is
> called id, whether or not it is declared in the DTD or schema, and
> whether or not it's type is DTD, it is treated as an ID for fragment
> identifiers. However, no change is made to the attribute's type. All
> parsers will continue to report the attribute's type as they currently
> do, whether that's CDATA, ID, my-namespace:social-security-number, etc.

Hmm, the notion of "treating as an ID" is fuzzy enough that I don't want
to go there.  All I'm suggesting is that for resource representations
served as */xml or */*+xml, a fragment identifier of "xyz" points to the
element which has the attribute id="xyz".

There's not really even any requirement that the value be unique, just
pick the first one.  Worked fine for HTML for years. -Tim