Re: content negotiation anti-principle

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:04:50 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

At 8:09 AM +0900 1/2/03, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>Perhaps the real problem is that there's no easy way to force a particular
>representation to be returned? Content negotiation is at a lower level than
>remembered URL's, so there's some "gap" between the implied semantics and the
>actual protocol.

There are definitely times when I've wanted to point to a version of
a resource in a particular language, or point to several translations
in different languages, and not allow auto-content negotiation to
happen. I've noticed that sites which use content-negotiation get in
my way and make this difficult. Sites  that don't use content
negotiation make this easy.

Again the whole issue of what is a resource rears its ugly head. Is
it the abstract Platonic document which can be rendered into multiple
languages? Or is it a particular, concrete representation of that
document in one language? It really depends on what your local
process is doing, doesn't it? Sometimes you want one. Sometimes you
want the other.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |