Re: Architectural problems of the XInclude CR

From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:41:22 +0900
To: "Jonathan Marsh" <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

Jonathan,

> > 1) XInclude ignores the media type (and probably the charset
> >    parameter) associated with resources
> Another way to uncover the heart of your concern may be to consider it
> this way: If we stripped the fragment ID out and put it in a separate
> attribute, thereby end-running RFC 2396, would there still be an
> architectural issue?

No.

> > 4) XInclude blesses XPointer as fragment identifiers of text/xml,
> >   while RFC 3023 (XML media types) does not.
>
> Is there a real possibility that XInclude and the media-type
> registration can get out of sync once (if) XPointer becomes a
> Recommendation?

Even if XPointer becomes a set of W3C recommendations, it is unclear if
IETF endorses it (or a subset of it) as fragment identifiers for
application/xml and text/xml.

> Can you share any plans you may have for such an update
> with us?

Simon and I certainly intend to start discussion about XPointer as
fragment identifiers of application/xml and text/xml after  XPointer
becomes (or fails to become) W3C recommendations.  This discussion will
be conducted in the ietf-xml-mime@imc.org mailing list.  I strongly
believe that XInclude (in its current form) must not become a W3C
recommendation before this issue is resolved at IETF.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>