Re: SemWeb use case for issue httpRange-14

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 15:09:35 -0800
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Sandro Hawke wrote:

>  Abstraction 102: An http URI is most strongly associated with
>  something in some domain of discourse (the problem domain) like a
>  person, place, or thing.  When you GET that URI, the bytes returned
>  are a representation [4] of that thing.
>
>  Abstraction 33: An http URI is most strongly associated with a
>  repository or collection of information.  When you GET that URI, the
>  bytes returned convey that information.

It's going to take a lot of time that I don't have to read through the
details of the argument.  But I have a major problem with the
distinction between these two approaches.  Current web architecture
makes no such distinction and I think gains thereby - I'm having trouble
understanding why we want to try to impose either of these mental models
on a system that works perfectly satisfactorily. -Tim