Re: [binaryXML-30] Binary XML problem statement.

Hi Chris, www-tag,

Chris Lilley wrote:
> Action CL 2002/12/02: Write up problem statement about binary XML;
> send to www-tag.

Thanks for this excellent summary Chris, it certainly provides a sound
foundation for discussion. I won't comment on the content  as this is not a list
about binary infosets, and several hundred pages on the topic are now available
in the xml-dev archives ;)

> Please discuss, in a focused manner, and with a view to what the
> wording of a TAG finding should be.

Binary Infosets should be used when and only when a system globally benefits
from XML related technologies but locally suffers from issues relating to size,
processing power, streamability, or other such features that are difficult or
impossible with XML but possible with binary infosets.

That more or less summarizes as "use the right tool for the job at hand" and
doesn't make for much of an interesting finding, but if I understand correctly
the TAG picked up the issue on the premise that if binary infosets were wrong or
useless it ought to be able to explain why. I see evidence that they are useful
when used right. I am unsure that "used right" can be more precisely defined
than in the previous paragraph without excluding valid cases.

It is unclear to me from the minutes whether the TAG should or should not
express views on potential standardisation efforts in this area. I would think
probably not, but opinions on the matter show up in all minutes covering the
issue. If the answer is yes then I'll add a few notes on why I think it'd be an
improvement over the current balkanised situation.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/