Re: Proposed issue: site metadata hook (slight variation)

----- Original Message -----
From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
To: <miles@milessabin.com>; <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: Proposed issue: site metadata hook (slight variation)

Excuse me, but that is *NOT* the semantic web vision.
The semantic web is an extension of the current web to
include data. This doesn't mean we have to throw away the
current web.  It is also essentail hat the zexisting web information
and semantic web information are not compartmentatlized but
totally integrated.

> It certainly is far less reasonable for a given web application
> to introduce new verbs into the web architecture. I agree. But
> we are not talking here about just any old web application.
>
> We are talking about the next phase of web architecture, and that
> warrants new verbs.

Why?   HTTP didn't merit a new TCP or a new DNS.
Its strength is that it builds cleanly on top of existing generic
protools.

> Especially since it is likely, if not certain, that the existing
> verbs cannot be bent or coerced to work properly.

You have a jaundiced view of the exsiting verbs, maybe.

It is a specific and important goal to build consistently
with the exusting infrastructure.
When getting information, use HTTP GET.

This is basic web architecture.
Do do otherwise breaks it.