Re: Minimal RDDL [NamespaceDocument-8]

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:47:22 -0800
To: Dare Obasanjo <dareo@microsoft.com>
Cc: WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> I love it. I only have 3 questions
>
> 1.) Who has the authority to create new natures and purposes?

Borden and me!  Buahahaha!  Under Reasonable And Non-Descriminatory
licensing terms of course... sorry.

They're URIs, so anyone can.  One of the nice things, I thought, about
the original RDDL was http://www.rddl.org/purposes, which was a nice
handy set of pre-cooked purposes like #runtime-validation and
#authoring-validation and #normative-definition and
#human-documentation.  I wonder if there's any organization the world
that could/should/would buy into owning/maintaining this, so even though
it's handy, it may not be practical.

> 2.) Using namespace URIs  for nature/purpose probably doesn't cut it.
> The W3C XML Schema working group may not rev the namespace for
> subsequent versions of the REC and the XSLT working group is definitely
> not going to. So should RDDL nature/purpose contain versioning
> information or should that be embedded in the targets of the href?

I think we don't want to go there.  Anyone who's worked in publishing
systems knows that schema versioning is a horrible, horrible rats'-nest;
if we can find a reliable interoperable way to say "this is an XML
Schema" or "This is a CSS stylesheet" or "This is a set of rendering
classes in a .jar", those are huge 80/20 points and we should stop there.

> 3.) Is there a mechanism for dealing with multiple href targets that
> have the same nature and purpose besides UAs just picking the first one?
> The first that comes to mind is having multiple stylesheets for the same
> XML document. One could say that you should have different purposes for
> each stylesheet which then takes us back to question (1).

It turns out to be impractical to rule out duplicates, which is what I
wanted to do originally.  So I guess you just have to deal with them.

  -Tim