Re: Proposed issue: site metadata hook (slight variation)

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:48:31 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote,
> > > Also, how do you PUT/DELETE/POST to that metadata, just using the
> > > Metadata: header? It seems morally equivalent to a set of M(XXXX)
> > > methods which has the same problem.
> >
> > It _is_ the moral of Patricks M(XXX) methods ... but _without_ the
> > problems ;-)
>
> Ummm... what problems ;-)

Umm ... I'm repeating myself.

Show me how to send an MGET request using the standard Java HTTP client.
I'm looking at it's source code right now and the only methods
supported are GET, POST, HEAD, OPTIONS, PUT, DELETE and TRACE. If you
tried to do setRequestMethod("MGET") you'd have a ProtocolException
thrown at you explaining the "MGET" is an invalid HTTP method.

I'm only using Java as an example because I'm intimately familiar with
it's implementation. But I'd be astonished if there weren't many, many
other HTTP client toolkits which behaved similarly. Which means that as
it stands your proposal is dependent on widespread software upgrades.

You might not see that as a problem, but I do ;-)

Cheers,

Miles