RE: Proposed issue: site metadata hook (slight variation)

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:17:42 +0200
To: <JeffreyWinter@crd.com>, <miles@milessabin.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>

I think that once rich metadata is available in volume, once a
reasonable architecture is in place to serve it, that *most*
automated agents and web services will be wanting metadata alot.

> I also don't see why you *wouldn't* want to make the metadata, in any
> form, an addressable resource.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to, only that in most use
cases I can dream up or have heard, you wouldn't want or need
to. When's the last time you've referred to "all the knowledge
known by X about Y"?

And if you want to, fine, give it a name and do so. But don't
*require* the duplication of URIs on the web just to allow
one to get descriptions of resources.

> I take issue with the original premise the that metadata should
> ever be non-addressible.

I've never presumed nor asserted that. Ever. Go re-read my posts.

I've only ever said that one should not need a *different* URI
from that of the resource in order to publish or obtain or
otherwise interact with descriptions of that resource.

Patrick