RE: Proposed issue: site metadata hook

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:52:09 +0200
To: <chris@w3.org>, <tag@w3.org>, <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

> The solution should also allow a distributed and scalable architecture
> that allows multiple users to share one server, rather than the wildly
> unrealistic and unfair constraint of the server owner controlling
> everything.

While I'm all for the most flexible and enabling solution, I think
this issue of some users not having control over their servers is
a social issue, not a technical issue.

Folks that live in apartment buildings don't have total control
over their domiciles. If they want total control, they should
buy a house.

And if enough tenants in a given apartment building (enough users
of a given server) want some change to the shared resources, then
they can request it, or demand it, or then find a more suitable
place to live.

Whatever solution is promoted, it should not disregard the rights
of server owners to decide how their servers are used, and the
fact that folks residing on those servers have agreed to waive
certain rights in order to reside there.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com