RE: Precise Definition for Interoperability Needed (Was RE: [Minutes] 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting (why XML))

Before one can suggest modifications to the document there are probably
a few questions that could bear answering first.

>3.3.1. When to use XML

Who is the audience for this section? Most of the people I know who
interact with XML don't use it on the WWW so this leaves web content
authors, web site owners and potentially the XML web services folks.

>For example, an audio or video format is unlikely to be well suited to
representation in XML.

So basically the TAG is denouncing activity like MPEG-7's[0]? This would
probably be a good time for the TAG to acknowledge the difference
between UnicodeWithAngleBrackets (XML 1.0 syntax) and XML infosets
especially since the latter is favored in several recent W3C activities.

> 1. Explicit representation of the hierarchical structure

Agreed.

> 2. Persistence; there is lots of redundancy

I have no idea what this means.

> 3. Facilitates internationalization

Agreed.

> 4. Clean error-handling; early detection of errors

This needs clarification.

> 5. Mix of structure and text or data content

Ditto.

> 6. Composability of multiple namespaces

Ditto.

I have a lot more questions but they depend on the answers to the ones
above. This entire section looks like a rough outline that and not
something that is ready for review.

>3.3.2. XML Namespaces and Namespace Documents

This section only lives up to half of its name. Lots of discussion on
namespace documents but very little on XML namespaces.

[0] http://www.xml.com/pub/r/1089

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Computers are unreliable, but humans are even more unreliable. Any

rights.