RE: [Minutes] 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:42:56 -0600
To: www-tag@w3.org

Re Section 3.4:

"PC: Main reason to use XML is neutral format for interoperability
[Chris]
xml gives interop
major reason "

This is a difficult concept without some definition of interoperability.
As stated, it is a bit too breezy for an architecture document.  We've
had problems with the term "interoperability" since the CALS usage of
it for SGML.  It tends to imply that moving XML among systems is
sufficient to enable them to interoperate at the semantic level,
that is, blindly.  This is not the case.

XML ensures portability of data.
Portable data enables interoperability.

Systems interoperate.  By definition, networked systems require selectors
to choose among equally probable options.  XML cannot in and
of itself, being a syntax, enable interoperability.  More is
required.  I'm not sure how one goes about saying what that
more is, except to relate it to the protocol verbs and interpretation
of the content of an XML document.

len