A simpler solution to %7e vs %7E vs ~ in namespace comparison

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:40:09 -0800
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

Don't allow hex-escapes in namespace names.
If hex-escapes are not allowed, then it isn't
necessary to test for equivalence.

Are you aware of any current use of a namespace name with
hex escapes?

In general, don't use, as namespace names,
different URIs that are commonly considered equivalent.
For HTTP URIs in particular, prefer the shorter
and lower case versions under HTTP URI equivalence
rules. That is:

Disallow:

  http://www.example.org:80/path

Use

  http://www.example.org/path

instead. Disallow:

  http://www.EXAMPLE.org/path

Use

  http://www.example.org/path

instead.

This allows namespace name equivalence to be
accomplished by using string equality, because
not ALL URIs are allowed to be namespace names.

I've made this suggestion to 'xml-names-editor',
but since the topic seems to be alive in the TAG
still, I thought I would repeat the suggestion here.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net