RE: Valid representations, canonical representations, and what the SW needs from the Web...

From: Jeffrey Winter <JeffreyWinter@crd.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:39:52 -0500
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <dehora@eircom.net>
Cc: <paul@prescod.net>, <jbone@deepfile.com>, <sandro@w3.org>, <www-tag@w3.org>

> > > Or far better,
> > >
> > > GET  http://www.prescod.net gives you a representation of
> a resource
> > > MGET http://www.prescod.net gives you knowledge of a resource
> >
> > I'm not sure that this is far better - making a separation between
> > 'resource knowledge' and 'resource snapshot' seems somewhat
> > arbitrary.

One problem that I see is that one person's metadata is another
person's data.  One could imagine an AOP tool that would only
ever care about dealing with metadata; forcing it to work
with only special methods would be overly restrictive. Also, how
could you ever express meta-metadata?

Some mechanism that binds a resource to another resource via
a relationship expressed either through a header, or through a
convension applied to the OPTIONS method would seem more
expressive and adaptable.