Re: DeepLinking-25: Finding updated

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:00:40 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, 2:03:51 AM, Tim wrote:

TB> I have just published http://www.textuality.com/tag/DeepLinking2.html.

TB> The changes are based on:

TB> - input largely from Tim Berners-Lee and Dan Connolly in the TAG telecon
TB> - The following contributions on tag and www-tag:
TB> Joshua Allen: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jul/0286.html
TB> Joseph Reagle: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2002Sep/0051.html
TB> and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2002Sep/0048.html
TB> David Booth: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Oct/0232.html

TB> Probably this needs an acknowledgements section when published.  -Tim

Its good; it describes the problem area and the possible solutions and
their strengths and drawbacks to allow an intelligent choice to be
made.

I do notice though, under Access Control and Accountability on the Web

"The software requesting access was not of an approved type, for
example some sites limit access to particular Web browsers."

I would like it to be clearly stated what the drawbacks of that are.
It is, very rarely, a good thing; it is much more commonly a bad,
stupid, or poorly thought out thing and, with the rise of mobile web
access, increasingly likely to be a problem (demographics along the
lines of "90% of our users are on IE6/Windows XP" changing to "40% of
our users are on one of 50 brands of mobile phone".

In particular I would like to avoid any semblance of TAG endorsement
of such a mode of access control without very clear description of the
drawbacks.