Re: Valid representations, canonical representations, and what the SW needs from the Web...

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:12:28 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

> BTW, my dissertation doesn't exist within the Web any more than the
> Sun exists within the Web.  Nevertheless, I could mint an http URI
> to identify my dissertation if I wanted to and the system wouldn't
> know the difference.

This is perhaps an other entry to the question I asked
about levels of abstraction.

Is it reasonable to say that "the Web" is a web of
representations, which if you squint and look beyond
the bits, may look like a web of resources?

In other words, in a more concrete sense, a given
representation has "web glue" in it because it embeds
various identifiers, from which other representations
can be gotten.  "Resource", is higher order.  Similar
to the relation between brain and mind.

----

For certain resources, does "self-representation" have
a meaning in REST?

Thanks,

Walden