Re: Valid representations, canonical representations, and what the SW needs from the Web...

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:54:03 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

Roy T. Fielding wrote,
> On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 03:25  AM, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > Roy T. Fielding wrote,
> > > BTW, my dissertation doesn't exist within the Web any more than
> > > the Sun exists within the Web.  Nevertheless, I could mint an http
> > > URI to identify my dissertation if I wanted to and the system
> > > wouldn't know the difference.
> >
> > I appreciate that this was meant as a closing aside, but would you
> > agree that this generalizes to "Resources don't exist within the
> > Web".
>
> No, but you could generalize it to "Some resources don't exist within
> the Web."  There is nothing wrong with defining a URI that does
> identify a web page.

Interesting.

So if your thesis (which is a Resource which isn't on the web) is at
http://.../thesis, and GETs on that URI return an HTML representation,
could it also be true that http://.../thesis also identifies a web page
(which is a different Resource which _is_ on the web)?

If not, why not.

Cheers,

Miles