RE: Revised draft finding: Client handling of authoritative metad ata

Ian,

I've started to re-review the mime-respect finding and have tripped up on a
couple of things [I haven't made it all the way through yet]:

1: Message sender or Origin Server?
-----------------------------------
"The Web architectecture uses representation metadata to indicate the
senders intentions..."

and

"...we review the architectural design choice that metadata provided by an
origin server be authoratative."

Whilst the latter does not contradict the first it does lead to a level of
confusion as to whether the intended principle is that the representation
metadata supplied by the sender of a representation is authoritative - eg.
in the case of metadata accompanying an HTTP PUT request, or say, the MIME
packaging of an email message.

The key point summary seems to make it clear... and then the 3rd para of the
Introduction states "Section 3 discusses the motivation for a Web
architecture where origin metadata is authoritative." This introduces a term
'origin metadata' without being clear whether it relates to the sender of a
representation or an origin server.

2: Section 3
------------
The title of section 3 introduces the term "resource provider" and then
seems to confuse resource and representation in the 1st paragraph.

Also, "...in general, that the provider of a resource assigns the
authoritative interpretation of representations of a resource." I think I
picked on this language before when it propagated into a draft of the arch
document. Suggest replacing with: "...in general, that the provider of a
representation is the authoritative source of representation metadata
including media-type which is used to determine how to interpret the
representation." I'm also a little nervous of what this means in transcoding
situations.

More later,

Cheers,

Stuart