Idea on conformance

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:29:01 -0800
To: www-tag@w3.org <www-tag@w3.org>

I think that there's general agreement that it would be nice if webarch
had a conformance section, but general puzzlement about what could
usefully go in there.  Here's an idea: suppose we defined a document
template called a Web Architecture Conformance Statement.  It would be
organized along the lines of our principles, in which people could
answer some questions yes/no, e.g., The important objects in this
specification/program/whatever are identified by URIs: Y/N.  For those
principles that don't lend themselves to a crisp yes or no, e.g.
"carefully consider textual vs. binary", the document would include a
place in which the person filling it out could put a paragraph
outlining the reasons they made the choices they did.  Then, while we
need not define a condition called "conformance", we can encourage
authors of specifications and software modules to publish a Web
Architecture Conformance Statement.  It need not be long or complex.
-Tim