Extensibility and Versioning in SMIL 2.0 (and 1.0)

From: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:39:34 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org, www-smil@w3.org

I'm still digesting "Versioning XML Languages
Proposed TAG Finding 16 November 2003"

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning.html

I wanted to point out that the issue of language versioning has been
addressed in SMIL 2.0 -

Various relevant links include
http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil20-profile.html#SMILProfileNS-Extending
http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil-content.html#ContentControlNS-SkipContent
http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil20-profile.html#SMILProfileNS-AgentConformance
http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil-basic.html#BaseGuideNS-BasicUserAgent

(an extension mechanism has also been in SMIL 1.0, but that is probably
subsumed by the above)

This is mostly an FYI (in case this was missed - maybe there are new
aspects in the design above - it took quite some time to design, as far
as I remember). It would probably also be interesting to have comments
on how SMIL would fit into the versioning framework built by the TAG.

-Philipp