Re: New URI scheme talk in RSS-land

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:34:48 +0100
Cc: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>, "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "www-tag @ w3. org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

The inventions of new feed: (and Apples cal:) uri schemes and the
limitations of mime type based resource handling, show that there
is a big hole in web usability, waiting for a architecturally elegant
solution.

Fortunately, the "hole" is not in the lower layers of the web
architecture as the "feed" resource are still valid http resources and
carry, at least implicitly, a http uri.

The problem is not about hacking a browser as people would like
to include a "pointer" to the feed in their email as well (and yes, it
should work in the complete absence of html mails).

Noone is comfortable with the feed:/cal:/whateverisnext: mess and
something like xlink will not solve the mail problem either. A good
solution could be a meta uri reference scheme like
    use:type[:typespecificextnoatsign]@urireference

So one can write links like the following
   use:rss@http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ongoing.rss
or as href in a html page at www.tbray.org
or
or
webfolder</a>

Either browsers adopt the new meta scheme or one writes a single
application registered for "use:" uris which handles the forwarding
to all other apps.

The advantage of this approach over the feed:/cal:/whatever: uris
is that generic clients like wget can handle these uris with just
little changes as well.

Regards, Stefan