Re: Section on https

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:21:13 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>

RF wrote:

> I didn't like it because it is just wrong.

This suggests two paths to me:

 1) Delete the example in the name of expediency.

 2) Explore the example further as what type of issue
    one should consider when thinking about inventing
    a new URI scheme.

    Roy argues that "it's a better trade-off to separate
    the need-to-negotiate services from those that don't
    need it."

    I argued that the resource is the same whether secure
    access is required or not. [One could argue with that
    premise.] Why create two URIs where one suffices, especially
    if specs don't license agents to determine by string
    comparison that they refer to the same resource?

I suspect that people will prefer to delete the example,
but it seems like a good opportunity to say "See what
kind of hard questions arise when considering a new
scheme?"

Maybe RF and TB could convene and come up with some suitable
prose.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447