Re: Clarification sought re "whenToUseGet"

From: Michael Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:58:03 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

Mark Baker says:

 > These statements seem inconsistent to me.  The latter seems to be
saying
 > that it's ok to have a safe operation which isn't GET as long as it's
 > marked as safe, while the former says that in general (modulo the
 > described practical considerations), the only safe operation should be
 > GET.

I don't see an inconsistency. There are many devils in the "practical
considerations" details:  Since not all safe operations can be
practically bound to GET, and *empircally* not all GETs are safe  (e.g.
in a "pay by the megabyte" wireless environment), there is a use case
for marking application-level operations as safe or not.  Also, WSDL is
designed to be independent of HTTP, so there is a use case for marking
operations as safe so that this information can be preserved if there
is no concept of safeness in some other protocol binding.