Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] CLOSED: Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName?

On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:48 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <root xmlns:p="http://www.example.org/">
> </root>
>
> Now, just what Web Resource does the QName 'p:title' identify?

None, because it is not a URI and there's not a canonical way of
mapping it to a URI.

>  It seems clear to me there isn't one.  The Namespaces REC provides a
> means for defining _names_.  It does _not_ place any requirements that
> those names be univocal within a given context.  This seems perfectly
> reasonable to me.  It follows, however, that the kind of names the
> Namespaces REC defines cannot usefully be assumed to be in one-to-one
> correspondence with Web Resources, even against the background context
> supplied by a XML document type, however defined.

We agree; XML+Namespaces makes resources out of vocabularies, but not
individual elements and attributes.

Cheers, Tim Bray  http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/