Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] CLOSED: Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:25:26 +0000
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: jborden@mediaone.net, www-tag@w3.org

I'm concerned that there's a significant different between the words
in the finding [1]:

  "Specifications that use QNames to represent URI/local-name pairs
   MUST describe the algorithm that is used to map between them."

and the words in the Architecture doc't current draft [2]:

  "Language designers who use QNames MUST provide a mapping to URIs."

These actually say _very_ different things -- the first requires me to
tell you how to identify a binding for the prefix of a QName, but does
_not_ require me to come up with a _single_ URI equivalent to the
QName itself, whereas as I read the second, that's what it _does_
require.

Consider the QName 'a:b' in an XPath expression.  The XPath REC
specifies carefully how to convert this to a URI/local-name pair, but
it does _not_ specify a mapping to URIs, because it _can't_.  If the
XPath expression concerned is, in its entirety

what could such a URI possibly be?

I trust this is just an oversight, and the intent was for the Arch
Doc't to reproduce the finding -- if so, an exact reproduction of the
wording of the finding would reduce the potential for confusion.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/qnameids.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2003/webarch-20031128/#xml-qnames
                      Half-time member of W3C Team