Re: 2.3 URI Ambiguity

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:23:46 -0500
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Ian,

[snip]
>I welcome more examples. I am hoping to
>keep the text terse, however.

If I had some examples, I'd offer them.  But I'm actually
still unclear on the issue.  I thought "A URI identifies one
resource" was axiomatic in the Web.  And if that's the case,
then the architecture rules out "URI ambiguity", and this
Best Practice ends up redundant and/or vacuous.

I need some examples to see why the above
is not simply the case.

Further, it's quite a challenge to say objectively that
a URI identifies more than one resource, or that some
representations retrieved via it represent more than
one resource.  It's not clear that "URI ambiguity" is
actually observable.  Again, the examples...

Walden