RE: 2.3 URI Ambiguity

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:24:07 -0600
To: 'Walden Mathews' <waldenm@optonline.net>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hp.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Where a URI refers to multiple resources,
such as using a mailto URI to refer to both the
mailbox and the owner of the mailbox, the Web
architecture does not provide direct means to
resolve the ambiguous reference per ....

From: Walden Mathews [mailto:waldenm@optonline.net]

It seems to me that the Architecture of the World Wide Web
has to make a decision as to whether there is such a thing as
indirect identification at the architecture level, and if so formalize
what that is.

Otherwise, beyond saying "don't do that" about using URI to
identify more than one resource, I don't think there is anything
to say, and one shouldn't try.

Sorry to keep chiming in...