RE: 2.3 URI Ambiguity

Hi Mark,

> Perhaps we should just stick with the other example.

This indirect reference is a little ambiguous ;-) it would be helpful to
have an exact reference or quote of the example that you think we should
stick with.

This particular piece of text (2.3) has been and clearly continues to give
us headaches... at our F2F I raised the issue that the case for
distinguishing between ambiguous use of a URI and indirect identification
(former 'bad', latter 'ok') had not been made in the text of 2.3.

The data base example was cast as a case of umbiguous use... however in each
individual database there was no ambiguity of use. The trouble came with the
merge operation which did recognise/respect the different uses being made of
the same URI. One database uses the URI to make reference to a web page, the
other uses it to make reference to a company. I'll avoid asserting which
references are direct and which indirect... (since that might depend on the
URI in question eg. http://www.markbaker.ca). The examples seem to
illustrate to me that "context of use" (ie. doctype, surrounding content...)
goes someway to disambiguating the referrent of a reference (made using a
URI).

Regards

Stuart