Re: 2.3 URI Ambiguity

From: Walden Mathews <waldenm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:09:33 -0500
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Hey Mark,

: "When conference organizers ask attendees to register by giving their
: email addresses, both parties *know* that they are using the mailbox
: identifier indirectly to identify the person." (emphasis mine)
:
: "know" suggests that this is some global truth grounded in public
: specification, rather than in an out-of-band agreement between these
: two parties alone, or otherwise.

When I read the first paragraph above, it seems clear to me that
the conference organizers are asking for an identifier that identifies
a mailbox; they are not asking for any URI that the attendee feels
is his/her global identifier.  So in that context, I think maybe the text
is not suggesting that httpRange-14 is resolved one way or another.

If that context needs to be made clearer, maybe a tweak is in
order.  Do you see any light in this direction?

Walden