Re: 2.3 URI Ambiguity

Hey,

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:22:25AM -0500, Walden Mathews wrote:
> I think I can see a distinction between
>
>     "What do you think about 'Moby Dick'?"
>
> and
>
>     "The person 'waldenm@optonline.net'"
>
> in terms of ambiguity.  I'm not sure of the relevance to
> Web Architecture, though.

Yes, I was just considering the use of URIs.

> That can be easily worked around in the example by
> simply asserting (as I did above) that the URI identifies a
> mailbox, and then going from there.  That in no way says
> that a similar-looking URI does not identify Mark Baker.

I considered that too, and just double-checked, but it still reads as
though it's prescribing that all mailto URIs identify mailboxes.
Consider;

"When conference organizers ask attendees to register by giving their
email addresses, both parties *know* that they are using the mailbox
identifier indirectly to identify the person." (emphasis mine)

"know" suggests that this is some global truth grounded in public
specification, rather than in an out-of-band agreement between these
two parties alone, or otherwise.

Mark.