Re: Which QName?

james anderson wrote:
> On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 15:23 Europe/Berlin, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> The qnameAsId-18 states that "using the in-scope namespace bindings
>> has the advantage that it theoretically allows a generic processor to
>> interpret QNames in content without having to be aware of any
>> application-specific mechanisms".
>>
>> That, unfortunately, is very theoretical.
>
> it may be insufficiently specified, but it is neither theoretical nor
> hypothetical. the namespaces recommendation specifies two scoping rules,
> those referred to below as the  "attributes rule" and the "element
> rule".

The finding states that a generic processor may interpret QiC without
application-specific mechanisms. If it doesn't know which of the attribute or
element rules was used, that ability of generic processors is very much theoretical.

> there is no need for a decision as to which is the best option.

I never said that. Only that at the least specification writers ought to be
aware of which rules they want to see applied, instead of the "just use QiC"
hand-waving one sees. That is all.

> why does one mode need to be "the" mode?

On a global scale, no; within a spec, yes. And there is a need for guidelines to
help people chose wisely.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/