Comments on "The use of Metadata in URIs"

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:46:18 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org

As noted [1], I'm extremely pleased to see this draft, and am hopeful
that it will drive some interesting further work. A few comments;

* I agree with the sentiment in the second editorial note; sections two
and three, while containing interesting information, don't justify
their length. I would advocate a severe editing down.

* I disagree with the third editorial note's suggestion; there's a lot
of misunderstanding of the Opacity axiom, and this document should try
to help disperse it.

  * Regarding the editorial note in section 3.3, AFAIK the vast majority
of caches won't store representations of URIs who were accessed with
query strings, period. If they do, the query string would be treated as
opaque.

* It may be good to target some of the recommendations of the document
at agent implementers specifically, and specification authors as well.

More in time.

1. http://www.mnot.net/blog/archives/000137.html