RE: namespaceDocument-8: possible interaction with Namespaces in XML 1.1

Hi Norm,

Just to stand up and be counted as one who does not have a negative
pre-disposition to the use of URNs.

Personnally, I would like our arch document to be as general as possible wrt
to URI, and only specific wrt to a particular scheme if absolutely
necessary.

> |> Q2: Your text "URNs are not effectively usable" might lead me to
believe
> |> that there might be an effort ongoing to standardize how to retrieve
> |> resources using URNs.  Do you know of such an effort?
> |
> | Yes, there are such efforts in the IETF; the acronym doesn't spring to
> | mind, but that doesn't matter, because I'm sure that several other
> | people will spring forward to explain why URNs are in fact retrievable
> | and that TimBL and I are blowing smoke when we claim they're not.  I
> | accept that mechanisms in principle exist to dereference URNs, it's
> | just that I've never used a computer where such software was
> | installed, so it's clearly far from ubiquitous.
>
> Others have made those points, so I won't. There's also "OASIS
> Extensible Resource Identifier (XRI) TC"[1] but I haven't looked at
> it.
>
> It will come as no surprise to Tim that I second Larry's observation:
>
>   In the long run, I think it's easier to make a URNs retrievable than
>   it is to make HTTP URLs permanent, and that the W3C should stop
>   trying to make an anti-URN policy.

+1 too....

> [1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xri/

Regards