Re: [xmlProfiles-29] xml subsetting in IETF XMPP

Tim Bray wrote:
> Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM wrote:
>> (I still prefer the term "usage convention" to "subset"
>
> I don't.  Let's call a spade a spade.  SOAP/XMLPP have created an
> incompatible subset of XML such that general-purpose XML generators
> cannot reliably be used to generate their messages, and general-purpose
> XML procedssors cannot reliably be used to receive them.  It looks like
> a subset, walks like a subset, quacks like a subset.

Imho it only looks, walks, and quacks like a subset if sending some of the
excluded tokens generates an error, ie if general-purpose XML has a chance of
blowing up when it reaches the other side.

On the other hand if it is defined so that the receiving end MUST parse the XML
correctly, but MUST ignore it (ie MUST NOT pass it on to the application so that
no semantic value whatsoever can ever be attached to those tokens) then we have
a usage convention. It reads general-purpose XML, it just doesn't extract the
same information out of it. Given that we have no data model, a parser that
exposes less data than another is not a subset parser.

It is my understanding that this is the approach taken by the XMPP folks. I'm
not saying it's devoid of potential problems (notably wrt entity handling) but
those seem to be technicalities.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/