Re: Hlink, CSS anyone?

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:04:13 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

Norm Walsh writes:
> Taken to the extreme, you could put *all* markup out of line. This
> very message could be fully tagged in a dozen different ways by
> providing different "stylesheets" "semantic sheets" and "link sheets".
> Despite the fact that Simon St Laurent has demonstrated that such a
> scheme has interesting properties, I think it would be an enormous
> step backwards.

I think Norm's referring to:

The interesting properties are indeed real, but the inconvenience level
is extreme unless you have an excellent set of tools.  (The code I
developed definitely does not qualify as excellent.)

One of the nicer features of markup is the relatively simple set of
tools needed to work with it, so I suspect that even though out-of-line
markup is great for hypertext, it would be a big step backwards for the
Web per se.

At the same time, I think namespace-disambiguated linking has its own
huge set of problems, so we might do well to acknowledge that there
likely isn't a single perfect answer to this set of questions.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid: is another possibility altogether