Hypertext; for machine or humans?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:32:53 -0400
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 04:01:41PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Here anyway is an attempt at a practical definition:
>
> 1. A hypertext references is a reference to something that if traversed
>    will be displayed to a human reader. (So references to stylesheets
>    and script libraries are not hypertext references.)

Hmm, I'm not sure what purpose a human/machine distinction serves here.
To me, that's a property of the data you get back when resolving the
URI, not of the URI itself or to what it refers.

So, a GET on a URI that identifies a stylesheet doesn't necessarily
return the stylesheet; it could return an HTML page saying "This is a
stylesheet for such-and-such".

MB