Re: two failings of XLink

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:12:22 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org, Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>

Hi Paul,

>>So 'embed' is only for images? It doesn't include embedding XML or
>>text? Or applets? Or movies? Where are the boundaries on what
>>'embed' is allowed to embed?
>
> It's not for embedding any of those themselves, it's for embedding
> the "result of styling the ending resource of the link." (The XLink
> spec leaves it vague just how to interpret this--the vagueness here
> is another reason I voted against this value.)

OK; if I interpret 'styling' as "supplying a presentation form of" it
sounds to me as if it should be able to embed the result of 'styling'
a Java class (i.e. an applet).

So I'm still confused as to why you considered the example of linking
to a Java class that should be embedded as an applet as being outside
the scope of XLink? Or was it something else about the example that
made it outside scope?

Cheers,

Jeni

---