Re: two failings of XLink

At 05:30 PM 9/27/2002 -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:

>Yes, and XLink does impose the limitation that only one attribute per
>element can have the semantic of "hypertext reference". Maybe that's
>an unacceptable limitation, but I've not yet seen convincing evidence.

<note this is not on www-tag>

This, in part, (and just in part), is the problem.

more than one attribute of the semantic hypertext reference is
long-standing practice. Whether or not it's good practice is an argument
for another day. XLink was designed with this practice stated as a
requirement, but for reasons described ad nauseum, the result didn't allow it.

Now, we continue to have issues when it is not allowed. Simply because
XLink 'got there first', doesn't mean that those requiring such
capabilities have to prove you wrong, nor even convince you.

The XLink WG was given them as requirements, they have been affirmed as
requirements by the AC for continued work on XLink, and a solution that
provides for them should be developed.

Any refusal to look at it because someone hasn't been 'convinced' smacks of
attempts at face saving for not dealing with it in the first place, rather
than a well intended effort to deal with the current bog we're all in.

Ann