Re: two failings of XLink

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:24:11 +0100
To: Tim Bray <twbray@antarctica.net>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Hi Tim,

>> assuming all sorts of defaulting in the DTD or schema, a minimal
>> XLink version would be something like:
>>   <object>
>>     <archive xlink:href="archive.jar" />
>>     <archive xlink:href="anotherArchive.jar" />
>>     <classid xlink:href="java:Class" />
>>     <data xlink:href="data.xml" />
>>     <alt>The applet failed to load, sorry!</alt>
>>     <embedClass />
>>     <linkToArchives />
>>     <linkToData />
>>   </object>
>> Note that the <embedClass>, <linkToArchives> and <linkToData>
>> elements at the end are 'arcs' that silently (because of the
>> defaulting) links the content of the <alt> element to the rest of
>> the resources.
> Er, one more time?  I don't see why you need those last 3.  What breaks
> if they're not there?  The rest of the example looks OK to me. -Tim

Well, I don't know whether it's correct in terms of how this
particular extended link should be arranged or not, but I'm assuming
that you want to embed the applet represented by the <classid> in
place of the <alt> text, so <embedClass /> expands to:

  <embedClass xlink:type="arc" xlink:from="alt" xlink:to="classid"
              xlink:show="embed" actuate="onLoad" />

I'm assuming then that you want to link from the applet represented by
the <classid> to the archives:

  <linkToArchives xlink:type="arc" xlink:from="classid" xlink:to="archive"
                  xlink:show="other" actuate="other" />

And then I'm assuming that you want to link from that applet to the

  <linkToData xlink:type="arc" xlink:from="classid" xlink:to="data"
              xlink:show="other" actuate="other" />

And I'm assuming that xlink:arcrole values are standardised somewhere
for links between content and applets, and between applets and
archives or data and you want to take advantage of that.

Jeni Tennison