Re: two failings of XLink

At 11:53 AM 9/27/2002 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:

>Now, "longdesc" is typically not used.  But if it were widely used, the
>XLink formulation seems like better markup to me.

The HTML WG can't simplify our needs based on whether something like
'longdesc' is or isn't typically used. It is a constraint placed on us by
the WAI folks, which means it's a constraint placed on our acceptance of
linking solutions.

We have not yet been able to craft an acceptable solution that encompasses
those requirements within the constraints of XLink. Therefore, we floated a
proposal that would (HLink), and have asked TAG for assistance (where we
got 'deal with it').

You don't want HLink? Fix XLink, we'll be happy to use it if we can meet
all OUR requirements when doing so, since we can't ignore or drop them at
will.

Ann