Re: TAG Comments on XHTML 2.0 and HLink

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:51:04 -0400
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, <www-tag@w3.org>

At 11:42 PM +0200 9/26/02, Steven Pemberton wrote:

  a reference.

>But in fact embed is a complete red herring, because if the linking group
>have changed their mind, and 'embed' is not suitable, then change it to
>'other' in the example, and add a new attribute html:show="embed" or
>"script" or anything you want, and the argument is still *exactly the same*
>(only now even more wordy).

No, the entire argument falls apart. You clam that because of XLink,
you can;t do:

<script ...>
     <security ...>
</script>

I claim you can do exactly that, and that both script and security
can be simple  XLinks, as can any children or descendants of these
elements. Your argument, as I understood it, was based on the idea
that embedded content eliminated the children and the descendants. No
xlink:show="embed". Problem vanishes.