Re: TAG Comments on XHTML 2.0 and HLink

In a message dated 26/09/2002 17:12:07 GMT Daylight Time, ann@webgeek.com
writes:

> That the most basic activity of hypertext, linking between documents and
> objects [2], becomes something that the majority of HTML authors will not
> be able to write with their eyes closed let alone without a constant
> reference source, is the ultimate failing of the XLink effort, and a vivid
> demonstration of why the process of ignoring, rejecting, and subversion of
> those requirements, clearly articulated more than 3 years ago, must be
> rectified.

Ann,

My perception is that your closing paragraph is likely significantly
exaggerated at least when applied to the majority of links to be created by
the majority of developers.

Writing simple XLinks in SVG is pretty straightforward. If I want to link to
an external JavaScript/ECMAScript file I can write
<svg:script xlink:href="myJavaScriptFile.js" type="text/javascript" />

Similarly to create a straightforward link to, for example, a new SVG Web
page (cf http://www.XMML.com) I can simply write
<svg:a xlink:href="http://www.EditITWrite.com" />

Not too difficult to do with your eyes close ... I think I have probably done
it myself a few times. :)

So, in practice, straightforward use of script and a elements would/could
remain simple in XHTML.

If that is the "ultimate failing" of the XLink effort then perhaps your
concern is a little out of proportion. Having said that I want to ponder some
issues Steven Pemberton raised in his post which you quote and likely I will
post further on those.

Regards

Andrew Watt