Re: TAG Comments on XHTML 2.0 and HLink

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:30:31 -0400
To: shane@aptest.com
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

At 10:57 AM -0500 9/26/02, Shane McCarron wrote:
>I guess I would recommend that you read Steven Pemberton's message at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Sep/0108.html - I think it
>presents the argument pretty clearly.

That message and argument appears to be based on severe
misunderstandings of xlink:show="embed", as others have pointed out
previously. Everything Pemberton claims can't be done, can in fact be
done in XLink and in a very simple way. Furthermore, both of his use
cases really indicate the semantics of xlink:show="other", not

Specifically, I reject the following claim:

Well, we can't make the security preferences a child of <script>

<script ...>
     <security ...>

because that would clash with the intended semantics of 'embed' on
the URI on the <script> element.

In fact, you can make security a child of the script element, with
exactly the semantics you need it to have.