Re: TAG Comments on XHTML 2.0 and HLink

In a message dated 26/09/2002 17:12:07 GMT Daylight Time, ann@webgeek.com
writes:

> XHTML 2.0 retains much of the familiar because that familiar is practical,
> useful, and comfortable. There is no need to reinvent paragraphs, bulleted
> lists, and other simple document structures.

Ann,

Not even if the paragraphs are structurally unlinked to any assumed header?

I will use hypothetical elements. Isn't it better to have

<header>Header blah.
<paragraph>Blah, blah
</paragraph>
<!-- Add more paragraphs to taste -->
</header>

or

<topic>
<header>Header blah.</header>
<paragraph>Blah, blah
</paragraph>
<!-- Add more paragraphs to taste -->
</header>
</topic>

than the current lack of structure with

<h1>Header blah</h1>

There is nothing structurally in XHTML to associate the h1 element with its
(probably) associated p element.

Surely that is one of the structural defects of HTML that should at least be
looked at in XHTML 2.0?

Andrew Watt