Re: My action item on Moby Dec, issue 14, etc

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:42:05PM +0100, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> > > Nonetheless if RDF held an 1-1 mappings as an axiomatic, the MT
> > > wouldn't require the IS mapping.
> >
> > Ok, here's the issue: how can you not deductively conclude that mappings
> > are 1:1 exclusive given the definition of a resource as that thing that
> > is named by a URI?
>
> That a URI maps to a single resource seems a reasonable conclusion -
> actually it seems more like a definition or an axiom. That a resource is
> mapped from a single URI... I'm not sure the is so clear. The mapping may be
> N:1 (URI->Resource).

Ok, where in the above system did equivalence get mentioned? If all you
have is a URI and _nothing_ (and I do mean _nothing_) else there is no
way of knowing that two resources are the same other than by comparing
the URIs that are mapped to them. An N:1 mapping of a URI to a Resource
would require some way to determine more information about a Resource
other than its URI and that information does not exist at this layer
of the architecture.

If you personally need some way of talking about equivalence and multiple
mappings and of resources and URIs then do it at another layer. Not this one.
And be explicit about it.....

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net
!! The Trailblazer spacecraft is going to the Moon! And for just $2500 a gram !!
!! you can send something along with it! Business cards, momentos, cremains,  !!|| anything! See http://www.transorbital.net for details!                     !!